Re: Waffle time - Part 3- Quantity vs Quality
I grew up watching the early days of the APL/Conf. I have always had the theory that non-league football has geographical differences. Back then the Northern sides dominated both league and FAT. I think now, the gap is really evident. I've been watching vids of the Northern sides, the likes of Alty and York. Dean Brennan touched on it in his interview regarding Alty. They are the replicant of that early Alty side in the APL. Interesting developments down at Weymouth this week. Working towards going full-time, their Northern manager has just signed to Northern centre-halfs. The clubs financing accommodation fees for northern-based players. This for me will probably all go tits up, but it demonstrates for me my belief that you have to incorporate different characteristics, built on real solid defences.
I don't like life in the Southern League, but I do advocate that style wise if you get out this division you have more of a chance of survival at the higher level. I think the top sides in our league are better equipped that the Ryman counter-parts. I don't get too overjoyed stuffing sides I perceive as cannon-fodder, even less warming to letting more in. Our record against the top 'big' 6 is appalling to date. I looked at it some time ago - something like 3 wins in 20 or the like.
I actually maintain right now, we are better positioned in an underlying sense to make serious headway than probably at any time in the 12 years I've been watching. I think we are benefiting from the Southern in that regard.
It would have nice if under Lee we could have truely gotten up and running. I think the best is yet to come.
Keep the faith lads - hope your all well.
Next article in this thread: NLM debate Rant part 1 by rwakeley1/2/2021 13:35Mon Feb 1 13:35:51 2021
- Waffle time - Part 1- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 14:52Sat Jan 16 14:52:44 2021view thread
- Re: Waffle time - Part 2- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 15:03Sat Jan 16 15:03:52 2021
- Re: Waffle time - Part 3- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 15:19Sat Jan 16 15:19:04 2021
- NLM debate Rant part 1 by rwakeley1/2/2021 13:35Mon Feb 1 13:35:51 2021
- Re: NLM debate Rant part 2 by rwakeley1/2/2021 13:46Mon Feb 1 13:46:57 2021
- Re: NLM debate Rant part 3 by rwakeley1/2/2021 14:01Mon Feb 1 14:01:10 2021
- And there it is..... by rwakeley2/2/2021 11:36Tue Feb 2 11:36:56 2021