Waffle time - Part 1- Quantity vs Quality
Thought I would chime in on the Fans FB debate. FWIW, I agree with David B. If the authorities want to see a perfect pyramid then naff to Egypt! Expand the league sizes - enjoy - wait while - wait for the complaints and then de-construct. That's the usual template. I believe it does not only create more un-necessary games, placing increased demands on everybody involved, more importantly, but it also waters down the standards. Something that I maintain is killing the competitive edge and hence destroying the game from within.
It will only further undermine the cup competitions. I, like many of us have witnessed real, genuine FA Cup giant-killing games. Look at the memories of Hendon's day out at Newcastle. Now we've created an environment where Non-league sides celebrate defeating league sides, when in essence in most cases the line-up of the higher ranked side consists of U-23 players. As for the FAT, I don't care. I think most managers would prefer at this level to take 3 points on a Saturday.
Expanding league sides for me dilutes the overall standard. I recall a league game at Vale Farm, Tooting already relegated all but in name, were brushed aside 6-0. The think I remember most was the forum that night. Arguably the longest post match contributions. I had nothing! I can't get excited stuffing teams, I expect to stuff. I had that felling, perhaps unfairly, post Dorchester away. I maintain, half this division we are in is their for the taking. I'm more impressed when we start defeating the top 6 sides. Off the top of my head, something like 3 wins in 21.
I agree with David B. Money has ruined the game. The Champions League consists of the same bloody sides every year. Play-offs half way down the league. Everything the game does, further dilutes the standards. I don't like this at all. This as been a steady decline for me from the 1980's... more to follow.
Next article in this thread: Re: Waffle time - Part 2- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 15:03Sat Jan 16 15:03:52 2021
- Waffle time - Part 1- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 14:52Sat Jan 16 14:52:44 2021view thread
- Re: Waffle time - Part 2- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 15:03Sat Jan 16 15:03:52 2021
- Re: Waffle time - Part 3- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1/2021 15:19Sat Jan 16 15:19:04 2021
- NLM debate Rant part 1 by rwakeley1/2/2021 13:35Mon Feb 1 13:35:51 2021
- Re: NLM debate Rant part 2 by rwakeley1/2/2021 13:46Mon Feb 1 13:46:57 2021
- Re: NLM debate Rant part 3 by rwakeley1/2/2021 14:01Mon Feb 1 14:01:10 2021
- And there it is..... by rwakeley2/2/2021 11:36Tue Feb 2 11:36:56 2021