Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 12th Man Fund 2020/21 by John Rogers31/1/2020 10:28Fri Jan 31 10:28:49 2020view thread

Gaffer Tape - Personal thoughts

By rwakeley27/1/2020 19:57Mon Jan 27 19:57:30 2020

Views: 1753

I enjoyed that. Gary honest and up-front. Dave Anderson citing how he ran out of petrol. We all have our journey's. Talking of comparisons and the like. My personal thoughts. I ran out of gas when watching the Conference from it's inception, automatic promotion came in. Ironically, it's what I wanted! Then the likes of Lincoln came down on gates of 1000, stayed full-time and went straight back up on gates of 5000! Days of doing a Wimbledon were over. Finance helps in all this. Other than the going concern stuff, I still think great managers are the key. I grew up watching McCluskey (Enfield), Allner (Kidderminster) and Fry at Barnet. All had pretty un-remarkable sides. Usually 2 or 3 additions, usually in central midfield - they were off to the races! Allner had Kim Casey up-front - they were not massively prolific. These sides, (this is where Hendon come in), had devastating midfields. Even the defenders would contribute.
Around the middle of the decade, teams from the suburbs came to the fore. Welling, Stevenage & Wycombe. I think that was the affluence. Southern flamboyance overtook the Northern grit. By 1990, this was clearly demonstrated in the final league tables. The style of play was more direct. I keep cross-referencing the present day Slough side. Bucking the trend. They're current midfield have scored more than the forwards. I do think, if we ourselves start to do likewise over time we are going to be a match for anybody.
I looked Saturday afternoon, our average age 24 - corresponding fixture 12 months ago, average age - 24! The difference in the calibre of personnel is pretty obvious. I was thinking Saturday about those epic games 2/3 years ago vs Slough and Bath. The group of death. As a benchmark, I would love another crack at them. I feel we need to be tested. Away games and the LSC should shed some light to our in-depth strength.
It's bloody refreshing to have these type of positive thoughts. What a phase. I'm genuinely excited about what side Lee can put together over the next couple of campaigns. I feel a sense of relief as much as anything. People are smiling. Our goals look to have a stamp of quality strewn all over them. The improvement is tangible.
Good compelling stuff.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Gaffer Tape - Personal thoughts by rwakeley27/1/2020 23:17Mon Jan 27 23:17:11 2020

Previous thread: Wimborne by rwakeley25/1/2020 18:08Sat Jan 25 18:08:09 2020view thread