Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Harrow by rwakeley26/12/2019 22:30Thu Dec 26 22:30:13 2019view thread

Re: Different players, bad habits

By rwakeley22/12/2019 15:27Sun Dec 22 15:27:59 2019In response to Different players, bad habits

Views: 8099

I thought going in we were due to revert to displaying our frailities. We were either going to go nuts and demolish a frankly poor(ish), opposition or fail to deliver a cohesive performance. We set up the prospect of the former, looked frankly too easy, ended up delivering a lot of the latter. Waited for that to happen. I wasn't massively impressed with the Merthyr performance. The failure, yet again, to capitalise and get that all important second goal. A trait, all our traits, indicative of not being fully operational. I know it's early.
First impression, the teamsheet. Big question. For me our best recent moves emanated from Howe and Lucien linking up. The defensive switch. It didn't hold water as well. The fist move into a post-loan dependency world.
I like the defensive qualities of Lucas. How the incorporates other facets, we need the missing parts to fall into place.
Overall. Had the misfortune to catch the last 10 mins of Arsenal at Everton. I know why I have nothing to do with that world. Bloody Hell! (Sorry for the language). Tame from watching that. Arsenal are woeful by the standards. No central midfield. I've said on here, I'm more George Graham than Wenger. George accused this original crop of being too cavalier - He would love Hendon right now. Brooks and Lucien dormant for spells - then BANG! We are at present very hung-ho. You look at Grahams back lads. Dixon, Adams, Bould. I like the semblance of our backs. Potentially very solid. What a foundation. Agree with the Gaffer, (fantastic interview by the way), we need that Corks lad. A calm head to orchestrate things and control. I saw a Biggles video of the lad Sambou distributing to Sean out wide and with the likes of Mr Versatile, Oshidi, makes me wonder exactly if we may along the way seem some adustments. Having that component in our locker is useful further down the road.
Interesting to keep tabs on Eshun's development. I'm drawn to Marvin Morgan more and more. Not the back post type, that's how Beaconsfield utilised him. I thought it utterly threw them. Their right back likes to swing in crosses. They forgot to play. I do think once we get some central midfield stability his involvement changes.
I think with James, we had players in for five, six games and depart. An overall direction is more advantageous.
I think we're fine in terms of survival, equally not getting carried away with good and bad days. Being able to diagnose areas that require attention is progress in itself. I've yet to see us pass sideways, let alone backwards. I do think it's distorting how good we are. The fact we are still potentially being overran through the middle suggests a lot to be done. Many of these same accusations were made under the previous regime. I think now we have far better quality, the style of play, an identity is still in inception. I'm optimistic we are clearly on the right track.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Different players, bad habits by Dessie23/12/2019 16:32Mon Dec 23 16:32:18 2019

Previous thread: Thoughts by rwakeley14/12/2019 15:59Sat Dec 14 15:59:34 2019view thread