Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Walton Casuals by rwakeley1/10/2019 22:03Tue Oct 1 22:03:04 2019view thread

Moving forward

By rwakeley30/9/2019 16:25Mon Sep 30 16:25:00 2019

Views: 1610

Just seen the interview - At last recognition we require an identity! First off - the lad is going to need much longer than a week, regardless of results. Not that short-sighted. My take for what it's worth. Firstly, this weeks cup games are in effect in isolation, and almost immune from our bigger issues. Almost a pleasant distraction. Bigger picture, moving foward. Thinking Essex. Not wenches with fake tans and long nails, more Billericay vs ETU. 2 contrasting styles of play. Both league winners, so which suits us, in my view. First ETU. Passing game, losts of movement. The lad for was Lewis Smith. Roaming around, linking up short passes. Destroyed us 6-1 at their place. Could not keep track of the lad. Damned if he didn't get a last minute winner at Earlsmead against us. Pain in the proverbial. I don't think we have the credentials or the type of player to induce that option.
Saturday for me as eleuded to, was for me the benchmark in how the hell to get out this division. Moreover, I think in lads like Luke and Hamblin we have the ingredients - something eluded to by the gaffer. I now think in recent weeks we also have a couple of wide options, the sort of lads, these top sides draw on down the flanks. I do maintain if any good has arisen in these batch of games, it has at least brought our problems to the surface. We do need a style, how the gaffer decides to go is down to him. It takes time, patience and discipline to effect on a weekly basis. It's the only way. Moreover, I maintain this potential style, replicant to the likes of the top sides is great to watch and provides a foundation to maintain standards. I think all our pre-season games emphasized this. Royston, bald lad at the back took control, started distribution wide. Game changer. Billers, we mirrored them. St Ives demonstrated it, we tried for 20 minutes and gave up. Whilst on pre-season, as daft as it sounds. I have a theory vs W&F games over the past 2 seasons. First game, tralists aside, they looked marginally stronger all-round. This season, more even, towards us. Both teams have struggled. St Albans fixtures both years, comparasons drawn. I like the notion of playing the same sides. I even believe underlying comparisons can be derived. Goes beyond the proverbial meaningless run-out. My criticism this season, having seen pre-season, and raved about the positives, has been the fact it's not been percevered with. I maintain as poor as some of the football demonstrated as been, the potential upside is apparent. We need to get organised.
I think, beyond this week, this is actually, with players in place, an opportunity to really cement a style. I think we've effectively blown one chance at it or we've had a indication of what we can do. Depends on your take. It's going to be interesting to see how we evolve. To me it almost feels pre-season again, with a new starting point.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Moving forward by Michael Cox30/9/2019 17:26Mon Sep 30 17:26:27 2019

Previous thread: Outclassed - Part 1 by rwakeley28/9/2019 22:00Sat Sep 28 22:00:11 2019view thread