Well, it felt a little anti-climactic in the end. Wonderfully so.
Before the game I had come to terms with the fact that if the worst case scenario was dropping to Step 4 but still having a club to support next season then I'd be able to live with that. It wouldn't have been my ideal scenario, but it was better than having nowhere to go next season.
All I hoped for from the players was that they gave it absolutely everything and if we came up short, so be it. I think they did that. After getting the early goal, Swindon carried little - if any threat - and although we were made to work extremely hard (no question of them rolling over and letting us win at all), I always felt reasonably comfortable.
I thought Chappell was outstanding in the holding midfield role, just mopped everything up - launched the ball when it needed launching - and then in front of him Hope was measured and Harriott enormously energetic and teancious. Charlie Smith looks more comfortable at left-back than left-wing, Luke was excellent (that tackle in stoppage time inside the box, bravo, sir) and Shaq deserves a tonne of credit for passing 20 goals, mostly from out wide.
There's definitely a nucleus there for Jimmy to build on depending on budget / players wanting to stay / which league we find ourselves in and I think he deserves so much credit for keeping us up this season given everything that he's had to deal with. Hopefully a full pre-season will give him the proper chance to build and plan for next term.
Enjoy the summer everyone, see you all next time out where I'd kill for mid-table mediocrity for a change!
Next article in this thread: Re: Yesterday by johnnybaker28/4/2019 11:07Sun Apr 28 11:07:11 2019
- Yesterday by John Rogers28/4/2019 09:32Sun Apr 28 09:32:23 2019view thread
- Re: Yesterday by johnnybaker28/4/2019 11:07Sun Apr 28 11:07:11 2019
- Re: Yesterday by rwakeley28/4/2019 11:45Sun Apr 28 11:45:43 2019
- Re: Yesterday by Earlsmead part-timer28/4/2019 14:32Sun Apr 28 14:32:33 2019
- Re: Yesterday by Whispering Minotaur28/4/2019 17:05Sun Apr 28 17:05:20 2019
- Re: Yesterday by Claremont Man29/4/2019 14:04Mon Apr 29 14:04:30 2019