Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Next Season by geemickey25/3/2019 19:43Mon Mar 25 19:43:09 2019view thread

Supporters Trust Board Who's Who

By John Rogers1/4/2019 14:11Mon Apr 1 14:11:46 2019

Views: 2473

The current Supporters Trust board comprises 8 members. We asked them to introduce themselves, what brought them to Hendon and what their current remit is either on or outside the trust board.

CYRUS COOPER (Chairman):

I have supported Hendon since 23 September 1972 (thanks archives section!). My dad took me to watch us play the Italian opposition Unione Calcistioa Valdinievole. We won 2-0 and I was hooked. My best memory for some reason is drawing with Slough Town in the FA Trophy at Claremont Road in 1976. We were 0-2 down and two Johnny Baker headers drew us level. I ran onto the pitch with our current Community Officer (Dave) and a policeman dragged us back. My favourite players have been Johnny Baker and Bobby Childs.

I am currently Chair of the Trust Board. I began this role in September 2018 after being on the Board as a member. I see my role to challenge the Board of Directors in a constructive way and to enable discussions to happen around decision-making. It is also vital I keep building relationships with SJP, Hendon Youth teams and the Association.

DAI COOPER (Acting Secretary):

I?ve supported Hendon for 49 years. My dad took me to my first game at Claremont Road. My first match was Easter Monday, 1970. Hendon 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet. Same score as the last time we played them. I have a couple of stand-out memories. Beating Reading in the FA Cup in 1975 and being 4-1 down away to Wealdstone before winning 5-4. I still have the DVD from the game.

I am currently Acting Secretary, looking after agendas and minutes of our meetings.

MIKE HARTE (Treasurer):

I have been a supporter since shortly before the Amateur Cup final in 1965 but my earliest memories are of the Amateur Cup games against Leytonstone and Wycombe Wanders at Claremont Road in 1966 - both of which we won 2-1 - and running onto the pitch in ankle deep mud at the end of the games. I?ve been a regular ever since and have seen most of our significant games over the years. My best memory was a 3rd round Amateur Cup Tie at home to Oxford City in season 1966-67. We were losing 3-1 at half time (I think) and ended up winning 4-3. I recall running on the pitch when Danny Lakey (my favourite player) scored a penalty to make it 3-3.

My role as Treasurer came about by chance. In 2005 it had become clear that the club were at imminent danger of folding so Phil Rogers, Simon Lawrence and me got together with the then owners (Arbiter Group) to discuss taking over the running over the club and eventual ownership. With help from Supporters Direct we set up Hendon FC Supporters Trust and started to pay the bills from 2008 and took full ownership in 2010.
I have been treasurer for the Trust and Hendon FC (2008) Ltd since the start and my duties include paying the bills on time, sending invoices for money owed to us, completing periodic returns to various bodies during the year, attending Board meetings and volunteering on match days.

I also work closely with Rob Morris in applying for grant funding for the benefit of Hendon FC and the wider community such as the new PA system within the ground, the players tunnel, the mental health project and the new dementia café which will open in April 2019.

BRYAN ROBERTS:

Although I started out as a Southampton season ticket holder, I have also supported Hendon since moving to London over 20 years ago. I was one of the first appointees to the Trust Board and spent many years as Chairman. Highlights of following Hendon have included the Mega Burger at Bury Town, our goal at Aldershot in the FA Cup and that amazing comeback at Wealdstone.

In addition to my Trust duties, I often operate the tannoy at SJP and oversee the Livescores update service.

SIMON LAWRENCE:

I've been watching Hendon since August 1970 (a 3-1 win against St Albans City). I went to my first game with my brother, Jeremy, and was absolutely smitten. There have been so many great memories over the years and it's really hard to pick just one but I'm going to go for the 60 minute period between Bontcho Guentchev scoring our second goal in a 2-0 win against Bath City in the 1st round of the FA Cup and the draw being made handing us a tie away at Blackpool. My favourite player to wear a Hendon shirt is Alan Campbell, with Dermot Drummy not far behind.

I was involved in the formation of the Supporters Trust in 2005, becoming the first Trust Chairman in 2006. I relinquished that role upon becoming Chairman of the football club at the start of the 2010/11 season but remain a member of the Supporters Trust Board.

JOHN ROGERS:

I've supported Hendon since boyhood as my Dad has been a supporter since the 1960/1 season. However, I've been a regular since the 1995/6 season when I joined the youth set-up. The first match I recall was a 2-0 FA Trophy win in 1988 at Fareham Town in which Iain Dowie. I think I might have been to a game at Bognor before that but can't recall which one.

Seeing Bontcho Guentchev at his mercurial best against Blackpool in the FA Cup in 1999 was a highlight amongst many good times. Twice he went desperately close to putting us ahead and within touching distance of a trip to Highbury. My favourite player was Paul Whitmarsh. Just pips Niko Muir as the best striker I've ever seen in a Green & White shirt. His first touch was something else.

I was previously the Supporters Trust Board secretary for four years before leaving the post earlier this season. Now I try and help the day to day decision making as best I can whilst also filling a number of roles outside the Board - programme editor, website updates, running the Twitter feed, various matchday duties and writing occasional match reports.

STEVE LYTTON:

I first went to Hendon when my dad took me when I was about 10; 47 years ago, unbelievably. I was raised in Hendon and though we were a Chelsea supporting family, I took a small interest at the time. That clearly grew...

I have 3 best memories. Seeing us stay up with the win at Slough when Ted Hardy the manager invited me and a few other supporters into the dressing room at the end of the game. The Middlesex Charity Cup final because it was the only time I?ve seen us at Wembley. And the FA Cup replay win against Orient for so many reasons. My favourite player was John Baker, a great centre forward

I?m a member of the Trust Board as I want my club to survive and grow. And the only way that can happen if we are to continue at the level we are, is if supporters can try to do more if they can, other than to watch games and hope someone else can do the jobs that need doing. I don?t have the spare time to do the things I might like, but I do feel that I?m contributing to keep HFC alive and strong.

GRAHAM ETCHELL:

I joined Hendon as Reserve Team Secretary in June 1990. I was appointed Club Secretary in January 1993 and remained in that position until 31 May 2017. I was then appointed as a Director of Hendon FC in June 2017 and in addition became a HFC Supporters Trust Board member in September 2018.

We are always on the lookout for new ideas and new blood. If you have any thoughts as to how the Supporters Trust board can better serve the needs of you, our members and fellow shareholders, please do not hesitate to speak to one of the board members at any matchday. Alternatively, feel free to email hfcst1908@gmail.com.

(This post will be added to the Supporters Trust section of the website in due course).

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Supporters Trust Board Who's Who by OldBoy5/4/2019 17:51Fri Apr 5 17:51:44 2019

Previous thread: A point closer to safety by Whispering Minotaur6/4/2019 17:04Sat Apr 6 17:04:46 2019view thread