Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: A ramble though history and welcome back Scott - 27 years and four months later by David B18/12/2018 22:05Tue Dec 18 22:05:29 2018view thread

Re: Jim'll Fix It.

By Scarborough_Rob15/12/2018 20:22Sat Dec 15 20:22:30 2018In response to Re: Jim'll Fix It.

Views: 2539

All about opinions and mine is slightly different.

I feel there are some mitigating circumstances to us leaking goals and therefore dropping points. Injuries and suspensions have played a huge part. There hasn't been a stable partnership at the back since Guri got injured and Luke was forced to fill in instead of the holding midfield role that was protecting the defence. We have been inconsistent ever since. Perhaps that has had the effect to put extra pressure on young Dan in goal, who has dropped one or two clangers, despite being a top keeper in the making. He saves us on regular occurances? Another new partnership took the field today; indeed when Howie went off we were down to a completely new regular back four. While our lads were adjusting and getting to know each other we were 3-0 down. Admittedly some of the positional play and marking during this period was abysmal. They truly played like the strangers that they are. I'm sure things will improve but it would be good to hear a loud commanding voice in there. Maybe one of the lads will come to the fore?

OK Casuals maybe eased up a little but Hendon played well for over an hour. Forget the final 2 goals. We were pressing trying to get a vital second goal. Some missed chances and not really having a run of the ball didn't help. Even the wind changed direction at the break. The pressing and pressure immediately went up several notches when the 20 goal man hobbled away.

I'm not sure about them not giving their all. At least with the very vast majority of the starters. I think most of them are doing their best. It's just that we're finding out why they were released elsewhere. Not enough fight when the going gets tough and not enough leaders.

Lovely players when we're winning or the conditions aren't too difficult. Watch how many free kicks we give away for petty niggly challenges rather than going full in. Little nudges that refs see a mile off because the players haven't the guts to challenge properly.

I can spot it a mile off because that's how I used to play. It's why I never progressed.

There's a lot more to football than fancy flicks or millionaires passes. Look how Matty Harriott, Connor Calcutt and Lee Chappell protect the ball. They do the brave essential things. All three were excellent today and must be knackered after those efforts.

This season; particularly up to New Year was always going to be difficult. Perhaps we punched above our weight when we got on a run?

It's certainly not all doom and gloom. We have the basis of a good side. The others need to stop being 5 a side or Powerleague footballers and start doing the hard crappy unseen jobs as well as the nice bits and treasure possession of the ball. It would improve several of them.

If this is the best they can do and genuinely won't listen and learn I'm sure that they'll be phased out gradually as better players become available.

Let's take it out on Frome!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Jim'll Fix It. by SteveHFC15/12/2018 21:52Sat Dec 15 21:52:28 2018

Previous thread: A lot to digest by rwakeley9/12/2018 00:16Sun Dec 9 00:16:34 2018view thread