Re: Gary McCann
Didn't see that coming.
Have to be fair though: even with a good, flexible job and the kids more or less grown-up, the required increase in both commitment of time and the difficulty of negotiating what will be an unsettling transitional period in the Southern League changed Mr.McCann's job description markedly.
Yeah, the Club has done him a few favours in his early days in the dugout, but he's repaid those with interest and we are all at least vaguely aware that he's turned-down job offers at clubs that finished a fair bit higher than Hampton on the Pyramid last season. Nobody needs to be told that the opinion on the Isthmian League street is that Mr.McCann is the main reason Hendon FC still plays at Step Three.
Everyone should be grateful for what he's done for the Club and wish him well for the future.
Yes, from the Club's viewpoint, it is arguably the worst possible time to leave, but the switch to the Wurzel League was generally unexpected and had happened more suddenly than is healthy for either the Club or an incumbent manager.
I don't envy the Board in their task of finding a replacement. Ideally, someone with knowledge of the Southern League would be preferable, but the localish Southern League contingent have had long-serving managers for a while. Money isn't likely to be available to entice the likes of ex-O's midfielder Steve Castle from Royston or Mark Burke from Hitchin. Andy Leese switched clubs last season.
Drax might be a good choice, but the job isn't attractive without money.
Young Bracken at Cor-Cas has done well.
I note Dave Anderson took the reins at Chertsey a couple of months back, after a spell concentrating on media duties. His predecessor at Arra, Owsy, hasn't been seen since failing to improve St.Alban's in the required time-scale, but a bloke familiar with kids from Council Estates in Ammersmiff, Arra Road and White City is probably what the Club needs.
The Club hasn't quite been plunged into a crisis, and it's not quite time to ring Tony Choules, but the situation's uncomfortably close to one and I have a horrible feeling a call to Uxbridge might be necessary at some point in the next six months.
Edited by Morgs at 00:36:25 on 26th May 2018
Next article in this thread: Re: Gary McCann by rwakeley26/5/2018 08:03Sat May 26 08:03:57 2018
- Gary McCann by rwakeley24/5/2018 17:54Thu May 24 17:54:12 2018view thread
- Re: Gary McCann by John Rogers24/5/2018 18:03Thu May 24 18:03:21 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by SteveHFC24/5/2018 18:32Thu May 24 18:32:42 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Rainham don25/5/2018 15:28Fri May 25 15:28:06 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Mike Cox25/5/2018 15:46Fri May 25 15:46:52 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by WillesdenGreen25/5/2018 16:56Fri May 25 16:56:40 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by embee25/5/2018 19:08Fri May 25 19:08:23 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Morgs26/5/2018 00:32Sat May 26 00:32:55 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by rwakeley26/5/2018 08:03Sat May 26 08:03:57 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Colchester Don27/5/2018 10:38Sun May 27 10:38:38 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Claremont Man27/5/2018 12:40Sun May 27 12:40:04 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Hendonboy27/5/2018 14:07Sun May 27 14:07:55 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by dw31/5/2018 00:01Thu May 31 00:01:52 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by David B31/5/2018 12:33Thu May 31 12:33:45 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by Morgs1/6/2018 01:21Fri Jun 1 01:21:55 2018
- Re: Gary McCann by dw2/6/2018 00:28Sat Jun 2 00:28:55 2018