Due to the type of planning for which The FA has a reputation, a number of clubs were in line for promotion spots as "lucky losers" in the play-offs.
I suppose there is some merit in a system whereby clubs know at 3pm on the last day that a certain final position in the table gets them into the play-offs. The alternative would've been a system where clubs knew what they had to do to finish 6th/7th but then had to wait for news from two different leagues, at the other end of the country, to find out which 3rd-placed clubs had gone up automatically on a "highest points total across the six Step Four divisions" basis... and which 7th-placed clubs sneaked a play-off place as knock-on beneficiaries.
This led to the odd situation of Hartley Wintney - the #1 club on the lucky losers list - hosting Cambridge City in the Southern League One East play-off final but knowing they'd go up regardless of the result. Cambridge City needed to win. Hartley duly triumphed, which means Corinthian-Casuals inherit Hartley's lucky loser berth and are promoted.
Promoted to where?
The Isthmian / Southern boundary could well be almost passing through Tolworth. Kingstonian will be groundsharing at Cor-Cas next term, so another possible problem for the FA's Leagues Committee allocation boys to look at.
- Play-offs Down Below. by Morgs1/5/2018 23:18Tue May 1 23:18:16 2018view thread
- Give Kirbs a Cheer! by Morgs2/5/2018 23:46Wed May 2 23:46:05 2018
- Urbi et Orbi. by Morgs4/5/2018 09:36Fri May 4 09:36:07 2018
- It's Walton Casuals. by Morgs5/5/2018 18:25Sat May 5 18:25:29 2018
- Well done, Kirbs! by Morgs6/5/2018 17:30Sun May 6 17:30:54 2018
- Corinthian-Casuals Promoted. by Morgs8/5/2018 13:09Tue May 8 13:09:29 2018