"Bad day at the office" is being kind
First of all to clear up the team selection: one player was unavailable beyond our control; another had a slight injury and wasn't going to be risked except in an absolute emergency; and the third player was left out for resting purposes. That explains the selection, the formation, as you will read when I have written up Gary’s quotes - I deliberately didn't speak to him until today to give everyome a chance to calm down a little - the boss has been very honest.
Worst ever performance is subjective ... Leyton 1-9, Kingstonian 0-7, Lowestoft 1-8 all jump out, the third in particular, and a few cup ties, Brimsdown Rovers and Southwark Borough in county cups, Ruislip Manor, twice, and Wembley in the FA Cup were all pretty dire. Saturday's game fits neatly in with them.
How different things might have been if we had converted the chance we had right at the start of the second half. Confidence being what it is, it might well have knocked Enfield back and boosted us, but we didn't score. The penalty miss at 4-0 would have made little difference.
Quite simply, it appears we cannot win a League game at Donkey Lane. Our first visit there, a 6-3 defeat, was also pretty desperate, but I have just checked to see who was in our defence on that horrible afternoon in late 2012: Berkley was in goal, Ryan Wharton and Scott Cousins were the full-backs and James Fisher and Elliott Brathwaite the centre backs, and, in front them, we had Isaiah Rankin and Darren Currie, as well as Kevin and Casey, Michael Murray and Greg Ngoyi (Big Dave was on the bench). The following year – a 3–2 loss – we had Junior Morais, Jefferson Louis and Jack Bennett in the starting line-up.
Here's hoping we turn things around at Canvey Island on Tuesday night.
Next article in this thread: Re: "Bad day at the office" is being kind by Deadman26/9/2016 21:33Mon Sep 26 21:33:59 2016
- today by JD 24/9/2016 20:13Sat Sep 24 20:13:31 2016view thread
- Re: today by Claremont Man25/9/2016 13:44Sun Sep 25 13:44:52 2016
- Re: today by John Rogers25/9/2016 16:54Sun Sep 25 16:54:58 2016
- Re: today by SteveHFC25/9/2016 18:59Sun Sep 25 18:59:29 2016
- Re: today by Deadman24/9/2016 21:07Sat Sep 24 21:07:59 2016
- Re: today by dw24/9/2016 23:30Sat Sep 24 23:30:32 2016
- Shameful by rwakeley25/9/2016 02:06Sun Sep 25 02:06:05 2016
- Re: Shameful by IcecapUnited25/9/2016 08:06Sun Sep 25 08:06:17 2016
- "Bad day at the office" is being kind by David B26/9/2016 13:10Mon Sep 26 13:10:31 2016
- Re: "Bad day at the office" is being kind by Deadman26/9/2016 21:33Mon Sep 26 21:33:59 2016