Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Too Many Players? by Deadman13/9/2015 14:56Sun Sep 13 14:56:58 2015view thread

Line in the sand

By John Rogers12/9/2015 18:29Sat Sep 12 18:29:32 2015

Views: 2750

I think there were probably quite a few raised eyebrows amongst most Hendon fans when it emerged in the week that we had signed Aryan Tajbakhsh. Certainly, I had quite a few concerns, yet chose to keep them to myself in the hope that, as with HB and Rob in another thread, a clean slate might help the player. Even if he did pick up plenty of cards along the way, I expected scrutiny of his signing to last longer than eight solitary minutes.

Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances in this individual case, I don't know. But, when checking the AFC Sudbury twitter feed following the confirmation of his dismissal, I wasn't entirely surprised that it was for apparent violent conduct.

A third red card in a dozen matches this season for violent conduct.

That in itself is bad enough.

However, when coupled with the fact that last season's captain and his brother are sitting out the action for a year and six months respectively for violent conduct off the pitch, then you begin to wonder just what on earth is going on.

Many looking in from the outside would be forgiven for thinking that we have some sort of endemic problem within the club. I suspect some Hendon fans are beginning to wonder the same thing.

I know I am.

Some may not care about the club's reputation amongst other clubs around the league, but it matters a lot to me. I want to be able to support the team with pride and know that win or lose, those representing the club on the pitch will have done so in the right manner. This season, that has already been far from the case on too many occasions.

We were told after the Leiston match that things would change. A fortnight later, I'm left wondering whether they have.

We've had the words, the rhetoric, but it seems that the message isn't sinking in for some. I want to see someone somewhere to take some decisive action before all we end up with at the end of the season is a stinking great fine from the FA. I'm not prepared to stand there quietly and meekly and watch a string of players continually bring the club's name into disrepute. Things have to change, and change now. A line in the sand has to be drawn, certain names shipped out and, even if it means we have to write this season off, then so be it. I would much rather finish mid-table but play the game in the right spirit rather than kick, punch and elbow our way to the same position.

This is a club that I love, so forgive me if this all comes across as a load of emotive twaddle. I would dearly love to have been good enough to have played for Hendon. Sadly (or perhaps for fellow fans, luckily), I wasn't. So I do what I can where I can to keep the club afloat. I wish I could do more. I can't wait for us to get into SJP and build something special there for the community, for families. We are on the right road off the pitch, but on it??

I will usually defend the club from the fans right through to the management to the hilt. Events over the past couple of months, starting with the outcome of the Maclaren's FA hearings, have made that impossible. I cannot and will not defend those who I currently feel ashamed and embarrassed of representing the club.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Line in the sand by The Outsider13/9/2015 00:57Sun Sep 13 00:57:25 2015

Previous thread: aryan tajbaksh by essex don10/9/2015 18:22Thu Sep 10 18:22:18 2015view thread