Play-off farce and doing sweet FA
I have to agree with John R on this. The League has been made to look bad by the FA’s prevarication. The rules set by the FA are only endorsed by the Leagues – and, in many cases, they cannot refuse to accept them – so the Ryman League was unable to do anything to change the process.
Whilst I agree that if the League said they would release a further statement they should have done so, once Enfield’s window of opportunity to lodge an appeal to the League had passed without a claim, nothing more needed to be said. In fact, my understanding is that the only thing the League could have said is that they were bound by FA regulations in what were they were able to do, which would have helped nobody and clarified nothing.
Everybody in football is banging on about FIFA and their inadequacies. A look closer to home, at England’s football governing body, reveal much that is unsatisfactory too. We are just one of a number of victims in recent times. Their plan to drop England C as a cost-cutting measure is stupidly short-sighted.
I would have thought that the FA should demand that 5 percent of all broadcast deals done by individual competitions for domestic league football, should go to the FA. The new Premier League deal, £5.1billion over three seasons, works out at £1.7billion per year. If the FA took 5 percent, that would realise £85million per year, or a quarter of a billion over three years. If 1 percent of that 5 percent (0.05 percent, or one-20,000th) was passed down to, say, 600 clubs below what was the Conference (i.e outside the top 160 clubs), that would be worth £85,000 per year to each one – more than enough to keep most going.
- The play-off farce by John Fordham29/5/2015 18:51Fri May 29 18:51:41 2015view thread
- Re: The play-off farce by Paul Butler29/5/2015 23:58Fri May 29 23:58:17 2015
- Re: The play-off farce by John Fordham30/5/2015 11:24Sat May 30 11:24:56 2015
- Re: The play-off farce by John Rogers30/5/2015 23:14Sat May 30 23:14:39 2015
- Re: The play-off farce by John Fordham31/5/2015 12:05Sun May 31 12:05:59 2015
- Play-off farce and doing sweet FA by David B1/6/2015 14:02Mon Jun 1 14:02:21 2015