Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybaker26/4 16:10Fri Apr 26 16:10:49 2024view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread


Next thread: Who want to buy a piece of history? by Simon3/3/2015 14:51Tue Mar 3 14:51:51 2015view thread

Home or away - definitive answer

By David B3/3/2015 12:36Tue Mar 3 12:36:58 2015In response to Home or away?

Views: 3995

We have not ceded home advantage, but the match against Corinthian Casuals will not be played at Earlsmead. On Thursday 26 March 2015, kick-off 7.45 pm, we will play our second-ever competitive home match on an all-weather pitch when we play the London Senior Cup semi-final at Silver Jubilee Park, Townsend Lane, London NW9 7NE (postcode added for those who will make the trek using satnav)

For those with very long memories, Hendon played Taunton Town at QPR FC, Loftus Road, on Sunday 17 January 1982, an FA Trophy tie, we won 5–1 with our goals coming from Bobby Gough, Martin Sperrin, Dermot Drummy, Pat Morrissey and Peter Anderson (the 2nd).

It is one of my favourite Hendon stories because we won the game even before kick-off. One of the keys to the Loftus Road boot room went missing, and somehow the Currie brothers, Tony of QPR and Paul of Hendon, found themselves with access to the correct footwear. As Taunton players floundered on the Astroturf (Barnet and AP Leamington had played out a truly awful 0–0 draw in the Alliance Premier League as the curtain-raiser), we were able to play as normal and ran out easy winners.
The above is one of my favourite Hendon stories, the below is in the opposite category.

Our reward was a trip to Northwich, where former Walton & Hersham player and Witton Albion player-manager Russ Perkins – who had scored when the Swans crushed Brighton, managed by Brian Clough, in the FA Cup – set up the only goal. Referee Bert Newsome gave us nothing, but Witton gave us a kicking and, just after the final whistle, Tony Bennett was heard to swear about the injustice of life (or the match), Mr Newsome dismissed him. Within three weeks, half of the squad had been released and the first Hendon financial crisis was in full swing.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Witham Tuesday by Edd2/3/2015 18:46Mon Mar 2 18:46:24 2015view thread