It's a three-hour-plus journey from Waterloo; slightly quicker from Paddington, though trains from there are less frequent and you'll have to change.
The "cheap" day return fare is £58.10.
There is a bus replacement service on the Winchester to Southampton section of line on Saturday 11th, so it would be prudent to use trains that dive south early and head along the coast - avoiding the bus replacement. The trains not involving a bus replacement section all leave at "05" minutes past the hour.
For those in chronic need of a day on the sauce, there are one-way tickets for £19.40 on the 08:05 departure from Waterloo, arriving into Dorchester South 11:12.
It's £23.60 on the 9:05, 10:05 and 11:05 trains from Waterloo, arriving into Dorchester South at 12:12, 13:12 and 14:12 respectively.
Be aware that trains not leaving at "05" minutes past the hour will involve a bus replacement section.
The 11:00 departure from Paddington, arriving Dorchester West at 13:52, after a change at Westbury, has one-way tickets for £24.40.
As for return trains, those quick on their pins could risk the £14.00 single on the 17:13 from Dorchester South, arriving Waterloo at 20:27. I'd say it's six furlongs from ground to station.
£19.40 is the cheapest you'll get on the 18:13 and 19:13 trains from Dorchester South to Waterloo. The 19:13 is the last direct train back.
A return train journey from either Wellington or Telford Central to Dorchester, via changes at New Street & Temple Meads, will set you back an eyewatering £104. Considering Shrewsbury's no closer to Dorchester - I'd say it was slightly further away - it's a mickey-take that the Shrewsbury to Dorchester fare, via Newport, is £84.70.
Next article in this thread: dorchester away by essex don29/9/2014 15:46Mon Sep 29 15:46:03 2014
- Dorchester Away! by alan ainsworth29/9/2014 12:57Mon Sep 29 12:57:29 2014view thread
- Re: Dorchester Away! by Planet Margate30/9/2014 09:41Tue Sep 30 09:41:23 2014
- Re: Turnstiles by alan ainsworth30/9/2014 12:25Tue Sep 30 12:25:06 2014
- Dorchester Trains by alan ainsworth29/9/2014 13:39Mon Sep 29 13:39:06 2014
- dorchester away by essex don29/9/2014 15:46Mon Sep 29 15:46:03 2014
- MegaBus... but please try to use the Club coach. by alan ainsworth30/9/2014 12:47Tue Sep 30 12:47:38 2014
- megabus by Paul Butler1/10/2014 12:36Wed Oct 1 12:36:22 2014
- Pub by Dorset Don1/10/2014 12:40Wed Oct 1 12:40:19 2014
- Re: Pub by Paul Butler1/10/2014 12:44Wed Oct 1 12:44:41 2014
- Re: dorchester away by SteveHFC29/9/2014 18:47Mon Sep 29 18:47:13 2014