re: Naive Sponsors
I used to work for a couple of advertising agencies in the 1980s... before my moral fibre implant operation.
"Shocked and appalled" is the traditional phrase used in outraged letters by "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" in spoofs of the stereotype.
I fully understand the rationale. Were I in charge of a company of any sort, I wouldn't let it within a million miles of anything to do with association football.
The naivete of the prospective sponsor was in remotely considering any variety of senior association football as a vehicle for promoting a respectable company... as opposed to promoting a loan shark or repo company, a bookie or on-line casino, a purveyor of narcotics, a Gang-Bang Holidays franchise, a foreign semi-state firm from a nation high on Amnesty International's hit-list or - heaven forefend! - a bank.
I'd imagine 98% of the adult population would associate football with atrocious behaviour and foul language. That someone would get so far as to check-out the proposed theatre of propaganda could be said to demonstrate commendable professionalism. However, that anyone who didn't want their brand connected to laddish or loutish behaviour would have ever remotely considered football sponsorship as a vehicle defies belief.
I'm constantly perplexed as to why RockStar Games - makers of Grand Theft Auto - doesn't sponsor a football team.
Paddy Power adores association with loucheness - and loutishness - as do most lager producers.
Respectable companies, as you point out, almost always wish to protect their brand names from association with the mentality found in football. That's why almost none of them sponsor clubs.
"Bockmist" - literally "billygoat s**t" - is the word used in some parts of Germany in instances where we'd use "bulls**t"... or "Bother!" if we're watching Hendon. It just came to mind while watching Brazil's performance last night.
I am tempted to post a proper reply to this thread, but I'm not sure I have three hours to spare!
Next article in this thread: Re: re: Naive Sponsors by mickeygee9/7/2014 21:41Wed Jul 9 21:41:45 2014
- No swearing at hendon or you are in big trouble by Rupe5/7/2014 03:37Sat Jul 5 03:37:01 2014view thread
- Re: No swearing at hendon or you are in big troubl… by Planet Margate14/7/2014 09:33Mon Jul 14 09:33:17 2014
- Don't Leave Us Paul by Mallorca Don6/7/2014 21:05Sun Jul 6 21:05:35 2014
- foul language by jimsredwhiteand green10/7/2014 11:23Thu Jul 10 11:23:24 2014
- Re: foul language by Mallorca Don15/7/2014 21:30Tue Jul 15 21:30:04 2014
- Re: foul language by Paul Butler16/7/2014 09:57Wed Jul 16 09:57:54 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by Paul Butler7/7/2014 00:30Mon Jul 7 00:30:24 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by John7/7/2014 13:57Mon Jul 7 13:57:48 2014
- The inconvenient truth by Planet Margate14/7/2014 09:45Mon Jul 14 09:45:50 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by Paul Butler7/7/2014 14:43Mon Jul 7 14:43:02 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by John7/7/2014 20:47Mon Jul 7 20:47:16 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by Tony7/7/2014 15:07Mon Jul 7 15:07:07 2014
- Re: Don't Leave Us Paul by Paul Butler7/7/2014 15:08Mon Jul 7 15:08:29 2014
- Re: No Swearing by Jeff Hill5/7/2014 04:33Sat Jul 5 04:33:48 2014
- Re: No Swearing by Paul Butler5/7/2014 09:26Sat Jul 5 09:26:36 2014
- Re: No Swearing by John5/7/2014 11:58Sat Jul 5 11:58:10 2014
- No Swearing Policy by Jeff Hill5/7/2014 18:36Sat Jul 5 18:36:14 2014
- Re: No Swearing Policy by Paul Butler5/7/2014 19:38Sat Jul 5 19:38:39 2014
- Re: No Swearing Policy by Rupe5/7/2014 21:11Sat Jul 5 21:11:05 2014
- swearing by essex don6/7/2014 09:30Sun Jul 6 09:30:48 2014
- Re: swearing by Paul Butler6/7/2014 09:47Sun Jul 6 09:47:55 2014
- Re: swearing by John6/7/2014 12:34Sun Jul 6 12:34:20 2014
- Re: swearing by John Fordham6/7/2014 18:24Sun Jul 6 18:24:18 2014
- foul language - is it necessary ? by mickeygee6/7/2014 20:13Sun Jul 6 20:13:30 2014
- Re: foul language - is it necessary ? by Jake Osborn 7/7/2014 16:40Mon Jul 7 16:40:55 2014
- Re: foul language - is it necessary ? by John7/7/2014 20:41Mon Jul 7 20:41:07 2014
- Re: foul language - is it necessary ? by Tony6/7/2014 21:42Sun Jul 6 21:42:39 2014
- Re: foul language - is it necessary ? by dw6/7/2014 23:34Sun Jul 6 23:34:14 2014
- Re: foul language - is it necessary ? by mickeygee8/7/2014 08:45Tue Jul 8 08:45:12 2014
- Re: Naive Sponsors. by alan ainsworth8/7/2014 23:05Tue Jul 8 23:05:25 2014
- Re: Naive Sponsors. by mickeygee9/7/2014 00:10Wed Jul 9 00:10:56 2014
- re: Naive Sponsors by alan ainsworth9/7/2014 13:32Wed Jul 9 13:32:28 2014
- Re: re: Naive Sponsors by mickeygee9/7/2014 21:41Wed Jul 9 21:41:45 2014
- Running on the pitch by Dorset Don8/7/2014 12:54Tue Jul 8 12:54:52 2014
- Baffled by John Fordham10/7/2014 09:47Thu Jul 10 09:47:54 2014
- Re: Baffled by Jake Osborn 12/7/2014 14:05Sat Jul 12 14:05:50 2014
- Re: Baffled by Tony12/7/2014 20:40Sat Jul 12 20:40:14 2014
- Re: Baffled by John12/7/2014 21:47Sat Jul 12 21:47:39 2014
- Re: Baffled by Paul Butler10/7/2014 13:13Thu Jul 10 13:13:14 2014
- Re: Baffled by John Fordham10/7/2014 15:42Thu Jul 10 15:42:43 2014
- Re: Baffled by Tony10/7/2014 13:56Thu Jul 10 13:56:20 2014
- Re: Baffled by Paul Butler10/7/2014 14:07Thu Jul 10 14:07:49 2014
- Re: Baffled by Tony10/7/2014 14:25Thu Jul 10 14:25:36 2014
- Please take a look at points 8 and 9 of the attach… by Simon10/7/2014 15:52Thu Jul 10 15:52:41 2014
- Re: Please take a look at points 8 and 9 of the at… by dw11/7/2014 00:36Fri Jul 11 00:36:06 2014
- In addition to which, by John10/7/2014 17:31Thu Jul 10 17:31:46 2014
- Re: In addition to which, by ChrisHFC10/7/2014 20:08Thu Jul 10 20:08:34 2014
- Re: In addition to which, by essex don10/7/2014 20:01Thu Jul 10 20:01:45 2014
- ...In addition to which... by alan ainsworth11/7/2014 19:56Fri Jul 11 19:56:45 2014
- Well, that's that thread finished then. (nt) by John11/7/2014 22:51Fri Jul 11 22:51:30 2014
- Re: Well, that's that thread finished then. (nt) by Paul Butler13/7/2014 21:57Sun Jul 13 21:57:48 2014
- Profanity count. by alan ainsworth13/7/2014 23:35Sun Jul 13 23:35:10 2014
- Re: Profanity count. by Paul Butler14/7/2014 11:15Mon Jul 14 11:15:05 2014
- Re: Rangers v. Hibs by alan ainsworth14/7/2014 15:50Mon Jul 14 15:50:25 2014
- Rangers/Hibs by Plumstead Blue16/7/2014 23:13Wed Jul 16 23:13:22 2014
- re: End by alan ainsworth16/7/2014 23:26Wed Jul 16 23:26:52 2014
- End by Plumstead Blue17/7/2014 22:17Thu Jul 17 22:17:49 2014
- Re: Rangers v. Hibs by Paul Butler14/7/2014 17:19Mon Jul 14 17:19:34 2014