"Blinded by the light"
That was the track played by Tony Wood as we trooped out of Claremont Road on Wednesday 12 August 1981, when our preseason friendly against Birmingham City - arranged I believe in regard to Trevor Dark’s arrival at the club from the Blues - was abandoned after 72 minutes, when The Lights Went Out In Cricklewood (I take it Tony couldn’t find, or did't have, TLWOI Georgia [Reba McEntire] or Massachusetts [the Bee Gees]). I do remember everybody having a good laugh at the inspired choice of music.
I have been at two abandonments because of floodlight failure: Edgware v Bromley in the London Senior Cup (Bromley's captain Paul Edwards, who towered over the referee (and pretty much everyone else, for that matter) said to him, "We'll all smile for the rest of the game."); and Clapton v Ware in the Isthmian League Division 3, when it was positively dangerous leaving the ground in almost complete blackness, thanks to the moon being obscured by clouds.
Next article in this thread: Re: Floodlight Failure by ChrisHFC2/4/2014 22:35Wed Apr 2 22:35:27 2014
- Clean Sheets by Simon1/4/2014 22:34Tue Apr 1 22:34:45 2014view thread
- Re: Clean Sheets by ChrisHFC2/4/2014 22:26Wed Apr 2 22:26:07 2014
- Sheer Willpower by rwakeley1/4/2014 23:36Tue Apr 1 23:36:41 2014
- Re: Sheer Willpower by eddieedd2/4/2014 00:05Wed Apr 2 00:05:10 2014
- Re: Sheer Willpower by SteveHFC2/4/2014 01:29Wed Apr 2 01:29:57 2014
- Floodlight Failure by John2/4/2014 09:01Wed Apr 2 09:01:49 2014
- "Blinded by the light" by David B3/4/2014 12:53Thu Apr 3 12:53:36 2014
- Re: Floodlight Failure by ChrisHFC2/4/2014 22:35Wed Apr 2 22:35:27 2014
- Lewes Away by Jeff Hill2/4/2014 12:48Wed Apr 2 12:48:40 2014
- Re: Lewes Away by John2/4/2014 13:52Wed Apr 2 13:52:48 2014
- Re: Lewes Away by Paul Butler2/4/2014 14:20Wed Apr 2 14:20:42 2014