re: Lewes trains.
I regularly book advance train tickets on line as well.... and I always have a problem at Victoria.
The last four occasions - I jest thee not - when I've gone to collect pre-paid cheapo tickets at Victoria, several machines have told me to bog off via something like "card not recognised" messages, meaning I've had to go to the booking office. I only missed my intended train the first time. On two occasions, a customer immediately in front of me at a booking window, then at the adjacent window when I was having a whinge, was complaining about the same problem.
This has happened on two different bank cards, over a period of about five years. (After the first couple, in successive weeks about five years ago, I've only pre-booked Victoria trains when absolutely necessary and been prepared for the drama.)
Also, the barriers at Victoria don't open for pre-booked on-line cheapos... meaning you have to show your ticket to a monkey, who then opens a gate... just so they make sure passengers aren't travelling on the wrong train and diddling Southern out of money.
I've never had similar problems at other London stations - nor when collecting pre-booked tickets for Southern from machines at Brighton.
The solution to the question of whether to book in advance is simple: Don't even think about it!
Because the First Capital Connect cheapo London-Brighton fare is £10. Even if you walk-up and use the ticket office or a machine on the day. The £10 fare only applies to First Capital Connect trains out of London Bridge, but they run every 20 minutes or so and get to Brighton just as fast as the Victoria departures. A Brighton-Lewes return is £4.80.
I should add that Brighton-Lewes trains are frequent - every 10-15 minutes. Some stop three times on the seven-mile route, but many go direct, taking 10 minutes.
Next article in this thread: Re: re: Lewes trains. by SteveHFC24/1/2014 13:38Fri Jan 24 13:38:38 2014
- Trains to Lewes by Jeff Hill23/1/2014 18:56Thu Jan 23 18:56:59 2014view thread
- Re: Trains to Lewes by Hendonboy23/1/2014 19:55Thu Jan 23 19:55:57 2014
- Trains to Lewes by Jeff Hill23/1/2014 20:19Thu Jan 23 20:19:19 2014
- Re: Trains to Lewes by SteveHFC23/1/2014 22:04Thu Jan 23 22:04:17 2014
- re: Lewes trains. by alan ainsworth24/1/2014 13:18Fri Jan 24 13:18:32 2014
- Re: re: Lewes trains. by SteveHFC24/1/2014 13:38Fri Jan 24 13:38:38 2014
- Re: re: Lewes trains. by SteveHFC30/1/2014 10:28Thu Jan 30 10:28:20 2014