ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: On this day feature by David B25/2 18:57Thu Feb 25 18:57:41 2021view thread

Oldest article: Lowestoft away by Malc29/8/2013 19:10Thu Aug 29 19:10:33 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 1967 by skelmersdaleunited29/5/2015 21:16Fri May 29 21:16:06 2015view thread

Re: My Hendon by Sandra Wood

By John Rice (legacy user)8/11/2013 09:27Fri Nov 8 09:27:56 2013In response to My Hendon by Leslie Ian Jones

Views: 16179

I have supported Hendon most of my life.

My Dad was a supporter and took me to a few games when I was younger, but I just messed around and he stopped taking me.

My first memory of watching Hendon was the 1960 Amateur Final, I was not allowed to go, so watched it on the television and went over to Claremont Road on my bike to see them return with the Cup. The road outside the ground was a mass of people. Starting supporting them seriously at the Amateur Cup Semi Final match against Finchley, which was played at Highbury.

Hendon is in my blood, my Dad supported them and met my Mum in the bar (when they were Golders Green) I met Tony at Hendon and one of my Daughters also met her husband through Hendon. Three generations of us. Hendon has a lot to answer for.

My favourite games must be the League play off at Dulwich's old ground when we beat our great rivals Enfield, The Newcastle game, we met Tony's uncle in a pub in Newcastle before the game and it was mobbed with Newcastle Supporters and we walked in with our Hendon Scarves. They were very friendly and we lost count of the number of drinks they brought us. That probably why I can't remember much about the actual game. The Leyton Orient game was also one of my favourites. The coldest game I ever went to was at Highgate, did not warm up for days after that.

I have not got a favourite team to play, but I do have one I hate watching and I am sure you can guess who that is.

My favourite Player was Peter Deadman.

I remember supporters were handed song sheets with words to "Wheels" at a FA cup game (might have been Reading) and I think the first verse went something like this " We're the boys, the boys from Hendon, we win goals and we defend them, we try so hard to play a sporting game and hope that all the others do the same"
I wonder of anyone out there there still has one of those song sheets? My biggest regret is not going on Malcolm Graves coach to the European Amateur Cup final game in Italy. I wish I had. The stories I have heard about that trip are legendary.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: O Hendon! by Mallorca Don10/11/2013 17:28Sun Nov 10 17:28:59 2013

Previous thread: Planning for 2015/16 by Simon18/5/2015 16:11Mon May 18 16:11:53 2015view thread