ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: On this day feature by David B25/2 18:57Thu Feb 25 18:57:41 2021view thread

Oldest article: Lowestoft away by Malc29/8/2013 19:10Thu Aug 29 19:10:33 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 1967 by skelmersdaleunited29/5/2015 21:16Fri May 29 21:16:06 2015view thread

My Hendon by Bomber

By John Rice (legacy user)3/11/2013 10:21Sun Nov 3 10:21:00 2013In response to My Hendon by The Ancient Marriner

Views: 15866

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 25 glorious, infuriating, happy, rain-sodden, exciting, bewildering years.

What was your first game? October 22nd 1988. 1-1 draw with Leyton Wingate. Dermot Drummy gave us the lead in 7 minutes after a flick-on from Iain Dowie. Pat Gordon equalised 4 minutes from half-time. In the last minute, Martin Duffield had a shot parried, Gary Keen drove it back across the six yard box, and Iain Dowie couldn't connect. I had hula-hoops from the tea-hut. Dad bought me a scarf (which I still have).  The next day in the park, I pretended to be Phil Gridelet.Now, ask me what I did last Thursday, I wouldn't have the faintest idea...

How did you find Hendon FC? My dad asked me one day if I wanted to go football. Chelsea, I thought. No, a local team. QPR? No, Hendon. I was, even for an 11 year-old, rather unimpressed. Best decision I ever made footballing wise (apart from turning down that trial with Liverpool as I didn't like their new kit*)*May not actually have happened

Why do you support Hendon FC? Through dad partly, but I think also as well, I was at that young-and-impressionable age. Got totally hooked into it, liked the ground, the people, the players, almost revelled in the slight quirkiness of supporting a non-league team at school (when everyone else supported Liverpool, Man United etc). I was an odd kid.

Favourite Hendon game? Just one? Not possible - pick from both the Leyton Orient games, Bath away in the FA Cup, the win away at Aylesbury in Frank Murphy's first season, the 5-4 defeat at Carshalton, the 3-0 win over AFC Wimbledon in the Trophy, the London Senior Cup final win over Croydon, the Middlesex Senior Cup win over Wembley on penalties, the 3-0 defeat at Dover when our flags outnumbered there...they're just the ones I can remember now. It's like "What's Your favourite song?" Kinda depends on the mood - some days, my favourite game will be the 1-0 (aet) victory over Wembley in the League cup (Hakan Altinok a few minutes from time) when I think I developed frostbite.

Favourite Hendon memory? Two: the win against Harrow 7-0 when Burgo scored. Even from a yard and a half, there was still a sharp intake of breath then just utter pandemonium. the second one was the above mentioned win at Aylesbury - Simon Clarke scoring late on, and everyone on the terrace just running around going "AAAARRRGGGGHGHGHHHGH". Bedlam.Favourite team to play? Haven't really got a favourite team to play, as much as a ground to visit - liked Dulwich for that reason (they had an excellent array of sauces in their tea-hut). Used to like old-school St Albans, and despite being one of the most aesthetically unappealing grounds on the planet, liked going to Yeading. 

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Again, just one? Think we're lucky to have had some absolute quality play for us down the years - the current management team included - plus the legend that is Bontcho Guentchev. Probably Bontcho shades it as he gave me a lift home from Ashford Town once (he dropped me several miles away in the wrong direction and it took me longer to get home that it would have otherwise, but it has given me the pub conversation starter "Well, yeah, Bontcho Guentchev gave me a lift home once", which to be fair isn't much of a conversation starter, and probably is responsible for me being not invited out much anymore....)

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: My Hendon by David Wright by John Rice4/11/2013 00:37Mon Nov 4 00:37:58 2013

Previous thread: Planning for 2015/16 by Simon18/5/2015 16:11Mon May 18 16:11:53 2015view thread