ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Waffle time - Part 3- Quantity vs Quality by rwakeley16/1 15:19Sat Jan 16 15:19:04 2021view thread

Oldest article: eProgrammes by John Rice22/8/2013 14:09Thu Aug 22 14:09:21 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 1967 by skelmersdaleunited29/5/2015 21:16Fri May 29 21:16:06 2015view thread

My Hendon by David Coote

By John Rice (legacy user)2/11/2013 18:10Sat Nov 2 18:10:52 2013In response to My Hendon by Norman Villiers

Views: 16033

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Since 1966

What was your first game? A 3-0 home victory against Barking in August 1966

How did you find Hendon FC? My Dad took me to my first game.  Claremont Road was relatively local (living in Willesden Green at the time) and England had just won the World Cup so those are probably the main reasons I was dragged up to Hendon!

Why do you support Hendon FC? Probably because watching Hendon was my first experience of attending "live" football as opposed to watching on television.  After the initial live experience I was never going to support any other team.

Favourite Hendon game? Impossible to give just one. My favourites (in no particular order) are the two FA Cup victories against League opposition, the 4-3 FA Cup replay win away at Banbury in the early 80's and the FA Amateur Cup semi-final win against Wycombe at Brentford FC in 1972.  I would also give an honourable mention to the home win against Tonbridge when we won 3-2 after being two down approaching the 90th minute.

Favourite Hendon memory? I remember Hendon losing an FA Cup 4th qualifier 4-1 against Waterlooville in the mid 70's and the abject disappointment after the game.  A few months later we were handed the chance of revenge when we drawn against the same opposition in the FA Trophy and this time Hendon got revenge with a 2-0 win.  I don't remember the game being a classic but I do remember the sheer satisfaction at the result

Favourite team to play? No favourite team as such but I always liked visiting the old Dulwich Hamlet ground as well as Walthamstow Avenue.  They were "proper" football stadiums and from memory we had an astonishingly good record on both grounds.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider - such a classy player.  Very close runners up would be John Swannell, Peter Deadman, Dermot Drummy,  Iain Dowie and Junior Lewis.  Another player high on the list would be Roy Butler.  You certainly couldn't call Roy a "goal-scoring" centre forward (37 goals from 195 apps) but it was his "never give up" mentality even when things weren't going well that I found so impressive.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: My Hendon by The Ancient Marriner by John Rice2/11/2013 18:22Sat Nov 2 18:22:11 2013

Previous thread: Planning for 2015/16 by Simon18/5/2015 16:11Mon May 18 16:11:53 2015view thread